- 50g plain flour
- 50g butter
- 250ml strong beer (West Berkshire Brewery’s Good Old Boy is our beer of choice), warmed
- 250g Gould’s Extra Tasty Cheddar (or Duckett’s Caerphilly for the traditionalists, but we find its delicate flavour can get masked by the Worcestershire sauce), grated
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (or Oxford sauce if you have it)
- black pepper to season
- 4 large slices bread (sourdough if you can but any bread will do)
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and slowly add the flour, stirring continuously
- Stir in the warm beer by degrees, until you have a thick but smooth sauce.
- Gradually add the grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the mustard and Worcestershire sauce and season with black pepper if needed
- Toast the sliced bread and butter it if required
- Spoon the cheese sauce onto the toast, making sure the cheese goes right to the edges to prevent the crusts from burning
- Cook under a hot grill until the cheese is browned and bubbling.