Why not try this traditional Eastern European Hrudka (Easter Cheese Cake) recipe… Courtesy of Nadiya, from Ukraine, who is currently living in Pangbourne
- 12 eggs
- 950ml full fat milk
- 200g sugar
- 1 teaspoon sal
- freshly grated nutmeg to taste.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crack eggs into a large saucepan and beat with a whisk.
- Whisk in the other ingredients.
- Cook over low to medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture fully forms curds and whey separates. This will take 20 to 30 minutes. Using higher heat or failing to stir will result in a big pan of sweet scrambled eggs.
- Line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth (or any clean, cotton cloth – a pillowcase works wonders!).
- Use a skimmer or slotted spoon to ladle curds into cheesecloth. Allow curds to drain for 10 minutes.
- Tie twine to a wooden spoon or dowel, hang the curds over a pot or container to collect any remaining whey and continue draining for 30 minutes.
- When egg-cheese ball has cooled and is not dripping any more whey, place it in the refrigerator overnight still suspended over a pan so it will retain its round shape.
- Serve with bread and cold meats.